Transportation Fund for Clean Air
COUNTY PROGRAM MANAGER FUND
The Transportation Fund for Clean Air (TFCA) County Program Manager (CPM) Fund is a local fund source of the Bay Area Air Quality Management District (Air District). As the TFCA County Program Manager for Alameda County, Alameda CTC is responsible for programming 40 percent of the $4 vehicle registration fee collected in Alameda County for this program. Through the Alameda CTC’s TFCA distribution formula, further detailed in Alameda CTC’s TFCA Program Guidelines, 70 percent of annual funding is available to the cities and county, and 30 percent is available for transit-related projects. Approximately $1.8 million in TFCA funding is programmed annually. Starting with Fiscal Year 2017-18, the programming of TFCA funding is coordinated with the biennial development of the Alameda CTC’s Comprehensive Investment Plan (CIP). Off-cycle programming actions may occur when needed to ensure the programming of TFCA funds within the deadlines established by the Air District.
Only public agencies are eligible TFCA applicants. TFCA-eligible projects are to result in the reduction of motor vehicle emissions. In general, eligible projects are those that conform to the provisions of the Alameda CTC Comprehensive Investment Plan (CIP) and the TFCA Program Guidelines contained within.
Projects must also meet the requirement of achieving an emission reduction cost-effectiveness, on an individual project basis, equal to or less than $90,000 of TFCA funds per ton of total reactive organic gases (ROG), oxides of nitrogen (NOx), and weighted particulate matter 10 microns in diameter and smaller (PM10) emissions reduced ($TFCA/ton emissions reduced), unless a higher threshold has been established by the Air District.
TFCA project sponsors are required to comply with all program requirements including expenditure deadlines, data collection and submittal of annual and final project reports. Data collection requirements vary by project type (see the sample monitoring forms below).
- BAAQMD’s TFCA County Program Manager (CPM) Policies
- TFCA CPM Fund Program Guidelines (TFCA Guidelines are Appendix I, Section 11, of 2018 CIP)
- Sample TFCA Final Project Report Forms (There are five form types: trip reduction projects, including shuttles, transit information and smart growth; clean vehicle and alternative fuel infrastructure; bike projects; arterial management; and vehicle retrofits.)
- Alameda CTC grant invoicing and TFCA reporting forms
- BAAQMD Logo for TFCA-funded Projects (Vertical)
- BAAQMD Logo for TFCA-funded Projects (Horizontal)
Staff contact: Jacki Taylor, 510.208.7413, firstname.lastname@example.org
TFCA Call for Projects
See the Funding Opportunities web page for current calls for projects.