Call for Transportation Projects and Programs
The Alameda County Transportation Commission (Alameda CTC), as Alameda County's Congestion Management Agency, is administering and seeking applications for the
county-level Call for Projects and Programs for the Metropolitan Transportation Commission (MTC) Regional Transportation Plan (RTP) and development of the Sustainable Communities Strategy (SCS). This Call for Projects will also support the update of the Alameda County Countywide Transportation Plan (CWTP) and development of a new Transportation Expenditure Plan (TEP), which may appear on the November 2012 ballot.
While the Alameda County CWTP-TEP Plans will establish a vision for the types and amounts of projects and programs to implement in the county, the initial federal and state county target is $11.76 billion for projects and programs that will move forward to the RTP. This budget is not intended as the financially constrained budget, which is expected to be less, but represents a starting point for discussion. To be considered for funding, agencies must submit a draft list of their projects/programs to Alameda CTC, and the Commission will evaluate, approve and submit draft projects and programs to MTC by the April 29, 2011 deadline. Alameda CTC advisory committees and working groups will review the draft list in May, and a public hearing will be held at the May 26, 2011 CWTP-TEP Steering Committee meeting. Final approval of the list by the Alameda CTC is anticipated at the May 26, 2011 Commission meeting, immediately following the Steering Committee meeting.
As general rules, project and program submittals for new projects should:
- Be sponsored by a jurisdiction or public agency (such as a city, the county, Caltrans or Caltrain).
- Be the result of a planning study and public review process.
- Be sufficiently defined to have project descriptions and reasonable cost estimates, using Alameda CTC's cost estimating guide.
- Reflect MTC's Call for Projects Guidance.
Submittals should also include:
- Project descriptions (location, limits, alignment, etc.)
- Estimated capital costs
- Estimated operating and maintenance costs
- Projects that have been completed or that should be removed from a list in your jurisdiction
- Identified or prospective fund sources (local, state, federal)
- Project timeline including start and completion, or planning, design and/or construction phases
- Information on whether a project is in a Priority Development Area as outlined in the Association of Bay Area Government (ABAG) FOCUS Program
Caltrans and multi-county transit operators may submit directly to MTC, but coordination with the CMAs are encouraged. Members of the public may also propose projects via the sponsorship of a public agency. If assistance is required to submit a project or program, a contact list is available here with representatives from Alameda CTC and each jurisdiction.
- February 25, 2011 – Release Transportation Call for Projects and Programs
- March 1, 2011 – Online application available from MTC
- April 12, 2011 – Applications due to Alameda CTC
- April 28, 2011 – Draft list approved by Alameda CTC CWTP-TEP Steering Committee
- April 29, 2011 – Draft list submitted to MTC
- May 3-12, 2011 – Advisory committees' and working groups' input
- May 26, 2011 – Final list and public hearing at CWTP-TEP Steering Committee meeting
- May 26, 2011 – Final list approved by Alameda CTC
- May 27, 2011 – Final list submitted to MTC
For more information, contact Saravana Suthanthira at (510) 208-7426 or Beth Walukas at (510) 208-7405.